About the School Bus Accident
According to the Houston Chronicle, the school bus was taking 22 students to Revere Middle School in Houston when it hit a tree around 8 a.m., only 2 miles from campus. 18 students were taken to the hospital for minor injuries and checkups.
The bus driver (not identified) also was taken to a nearby hospital. The driver said that a mechanical failure caused the bus to strike the tree in the 9500 block of Briar Forest. No charges have been filed.
The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles is now investigating the bus company, known as Nancy’s Bus Service. The company’s registration was revoked in 2009 because it was not insured.
The company was last insured in 2012. In addition, an identification number on the bus is linked to a different bus company. The owner of the company could not be reached for comment.
It is unclear why the students were using a private bus company to get to school, but it is not uncommon.
School Bus Accident Information and Statistics
- According to the Houston Chronicle, motor carriers operating intrastate commercial motor vehicles, including school buses, in Texas must register with the DMV.
- The agency can impose administrative penalties such as fines as well as suspend, revoke, or deny registration for those who do not comply with the transportation codes.
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration states that from 2003 to 2012, 174 school-age children died in school-transportation- related crashes.
- Since 2003 there have been 348,253 fatal motor vehicle traffic crashes. Of those, 1,222 were school-transportation-related.
Share this article:
A two-vehicle crash left four people injured in Angelina County, Texas Wednesday morning, about two miles north of Zavalla.
Details of the Angelina County Crash
According to KTRE News, the driver of a Lincoln MKS was driving north on US Highway 69 when they tried to make a U-turn to get into a driveway on the opposite side of the road when it was struck by a white Mercury sedan.
Reports suggest the Mercury was trying to pass the Lincoln MKS when the collision occurred.
Two individuals in the Lincoln MKS were transported to Lufkin’s Memorial Hospital along with one woman who was traveling in the Mercury.
The man traveling in the Mercury was airlifted to a Tyler hospital because of injuries sustained to his legs.
Texas Car Crash Statistics
The following information is from the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,377 motor vehicle fatalities were recorded in Texas in 2013.
- The state also recorded 232,041 traffic related injuries – 89,270 were designated serious injuries.
- Using available crash data, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in an auto accident every 2 hours and 36 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 16 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 71 seconds.
Share this article:
About the New Mexico Plane Crash
According to Reuters, the small medical transport plane was carrying a patient from the Las Cruces Airport in New Mexico to Phoenix Arizona.
Shortly after take-off, the twin engine plane crashed about a mile south of Interstate 10 and was engulfed in flames. State police reported that the weather was neither windy nor rainy when the plane took off.
Among those killed in the crash were 29-year-old pilot Freddy Martinez, 27-year-old flight paramedic Tauren Summer, and 35-year-old nurse Monica Chavez. The 59-year-old patient, identified as Fredrick Green, was also killed.
The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating the plane crash.
National Aviation Accident Statistics
- According to the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), 1,539 civil aviation accidents were recorded in the U.S. in 2012.
- 280 of the accidents were fatal, resulting in a total of 447 fatalities.
- Among the most common causes of aviation accidents in 2012 were:
- Pilot error
- Mechanical failure
- Fatal crashes were most likely to occur during the take-off phase and cruise phase of flight.
Share this article: