The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are all looking into the safety and effectiveness of the popular anti-bacterial agent, triclosan. Triclosan is used in dozens of products, from soaps and toothpaste to clothing and toys, and has been found to be present in the bodies of 75% of Americans over the age of 5.
Federal regulators, consumer advocates, and manufacturers are engaged in a debate over whether or not triclosan provides any real health benefit to consumers. Triclosan studies have shown adverse effects in lab animals and indicate a possibility that triclosan can contribute to making bacteria resistant to antibiotics.
“FDA is engaged in an ongoing scientific and regulatory review of this ingredient. [The administration] does not have sufficient safety evidence to recommend changing consumer use of products that contain triclosan at this time,” FDA.
- Antibacterial agent
- Created more than 40 years ago for use in hospitals
- Reduces/prevents bacterial contamination
- Found in products such as clothing, kitchenware, furniture, and toys
- Added to antibacterial soaps and body washes, toothpastes, and some cosmetics
The Safety of Triclosan
- Not known to be hazardous to humans
- Animal studies have shown that triclosan alters hormone regulation
- Studies have not shown triclosan to be beneficial in any products other than Colgate toothpaste
- Bacteria studies indicate a possibility that antibacterial agents contribute to making bacteria resistant to antibiotics
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry Injury Attorneys are leaders in the area of product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division has extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively.
Your choice does matter. If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries because of any defective drugs and/or products, call Thomas J. Henry Injury Attorneys immediately. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
Share this article: