Spinal cord injuries can be devastating and life-altering. “Because the spinal cord acts as the main information pathway between the brain and the rest of the body, a spinal cord injury can have significant physiological consequences,” according to the National Institutes of Health. Spinal cord injuries can cause:
- Loss of motor function
Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
There are many different causes of spinal cord injuries, from car accidents and defective products to sports accidents and medical malpractice. According to NOLO “Law for All,” common causes of spinal cord injuries include:
- Motor vehicle accidents (responsible for 42.1% of spinal cord injuries)
- Falls (26.7%)
- Acts of violence, such as gun shot wounds (15.1%)
- Recreational sports activities (7.6%)
- Other- complications/errors that occur during surgical procedures, defective products
Compensation for Spinal Cord Injuries
Any person who has suffered a spinal cord injury knows that the road to recovery can be long and expensive. If the injury was caused by a person’s negligence or by a defective product, the injured person may consider filing a lawsuit to recover compensatory damages for:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Pain and Suffering
- Cost of assisted devices
- Modifications necessary for the home
Spinal Cord Injury Facts and Statistics
Information provided by the National Institutes of Health.
- There are an estimated 10,000 to 12,000 spinal cord injuries every year in the United States.
- A quarter of a million Americans are currently living with spinal cord injuries.
- The cost of managing the care of spinal cord injury patients approaches $4 billion each year.
- 55% of spinal cord injury victims are between 16 and 30 years old.
- More than 80% of spinal cord injury patients are men.
Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney
Thomas J. Henry is a personal injury law firm with offices in Corpus Christi, Texas and Houston, Texas representing accident victims nationwide. Our priority is to provide our clients with the best legal representation. Our experienced trial attorneys are committed to defending your rights in personal injury matters including defective products, trucking accidents, maritime accidents, and other catastrophic accidents.
Share this article: