1 Dead, 3 Injured in Jasper Boating Accident
About the Fatal Boating Accident
Jasper authorities say that one person has been killed in a boat crash that occurred late Tuesday night just south of the Twin Dikes boat ramp.
Department spokesman Tom Harvey says the boat carried a man, a woman, and two children. Rescuers helped get the damaged vessel to shore, but details of how the accident occurred are still unclear.
Harvey says the man died in the accident. The woman was transported to a Beaumont hospital and was undergoing surgery following the incident. The two children were also hospitalized for treatment of unspecified injuries.
Boating Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the U.S. Coast Guard:
- 4,158 boating accidents were reported to the U.S. Coast Guard in 2015, resulting in 626 deaths and 2,613 injuries.
- In incidents in which cause of death was known, 76% of boating deaths were attributed to drowning.
- 85% of those drowning victims were not wearing life jackets.
- 22 children under the age of 13 were killed in boating accidents in 2015.
- Open motorboats accounted for the highest percent of boating fatalities at 45%.