1 Killed in Queens Construction Accident
About the Queens Construction Accident
According to the Sunny Side Post, the accident occurred around 8:15 am. A second man was also injured by falling debris due the man’s fall.
Both construction workers were taken to Elmhurst Hospital where the second worker is listed in stable condition.
The Sunnyside elementary school called 45-45 and 42nd Street school is expected to open in September.
Construction Site Accident Statistics
- According to the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), the leading causes of worker deaths on construction sites were falls, followed by stuck by object, electrocution, and caught-in/between. These four causes were responsible for 54% of construction worker deaths in 2012.
- 34.6% of construction site deaths in 2012 were falls.
- 9.8% of construction site deaths were a result of being struck by an object.
- Electrocutions counted for 8.1% of deaths in 2012 and caught-in/between counted for 1.6% of construction site deaths.
- 4,628 workers were killed on the job in 2012.
- On average, there were 89 deaths a week, or 12 deaths every day in 2012.