12 Million Vehicles Added to Takata Airbag Recall
More than 12 million additional vehicles have been recalled due to defective Takata air bags.
Update on the Takata Airbag Recall
According to Reuters, Takata declared 14 million inflators defective in the first phase of its latest recall expansion. Automakers have responded by announcing the recall of 12 million additional vehicles.
The new recalls are the result of increasingly aggressive U.S. auto safety regulators. The issue gained more attention after the March 31 death of a 17-year-old high school student in Texas in a moderate crash in her 2002 Honda Civic that police said would have been survivable without the defective air bag.
Under U.S. government pressure, Japan's Takata Corp this month agreed to declare as many as 40 million additional air bag inflators defective by 2019 in a move that will involve recalls by 17 automakers.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), vehicles made by 14 different automakers have been recalled in what NHTSA has called the largest and most complex safety recall in U.S. history. The problem lies within the airbags, made by major parts supplier Takata, which were mostly installed in cars from model year 2002-2015. Some of those airbags could deploy explosively, injuring or even killing car occupants.
Before ast Friday, 14 automakers led by Honda had recalled 28.8 million air bag inflators affecting 24 million U.S. vehicles.
At least 2.3 million of the 12 million vehicles in the latest recall expansioin were subject to previous driver side recalls.
What Drivers Need to Know
With over 12 million cars being recalled there is a good chance that your vehicle may have affected.
To ensure your safety locate the VIN number of your vehicle which is generally located on the right hand drivers side of your windshield. Once you have your VIN number go to Safercar.gov and entire the number to see if your vehicle has been affected.
Vehicles included in the latest expansion are:
- 2003-2006 Acura MDX
- 2005-2011 Acura RL
- 2009-2011 Acura TSX
- 2010-2011 Acura ZDX
- 2008-2011 Honda Accord
- 2010-2011 Honda Accord Crosstour
- 2006-2011 Honda Civic
- 2005-2011 Honda CR-V
- 2003-2011 Honda Element
- 2010-2011 Honda FCX Clarity
- 2007-2011 Honda Fit
- 2010-2011 Honda Insight
- 2002-2004 Honda Odyssey
- 2003-2011 Honda Pilot
- 2006-2011 Honda Ridgeline
- 2006-2010 Honda Gold Wing motorcycles
- FIAT CHRYSLER:
- 2007-09 Chrysler Aspen SUVs
- 2005-2012 Chrysler 300
- 2008-2012 Dodge Challenger
- 2006-2012 Dodge Charger
- 2005-2011 Dodge Dakota pickups
- 2004-2009 Dodge Durango SUVs
- 2005-2008 Dodge Magnum wagons
- 2004-2008 Ram 1500 pickups
- 2005-2009 Ram 2500 pickups
- 2006-2009 Ram 3500 pickups
- 2007-2010 Ram/Ram 3500 cab chassis
- 2008-2010 Ram/Ram 4500/5500 cab chassis
- 2007-2012 Jeep Wrangler SUVs
- 2006-2009 Mitsubishi Raider pickups
- 2008-2009 Sterling/Bullet 4500/5500 cab chassis
- 2008-2011 Scion xB
- 2008-2011 Lexus IS F
- 2009-2011 Toyota Corolla and Matrix
- 2006-2011 Toyota Yaris
- 2006-2011 Lexus IS250
- 2006-2011 Lexus IS350
- 2010-2011 Toyota 4Runner
- 2010-2011 Lexus IS250C
- 2010-2011 Lexus IS350C
- 2010-2011 Lexus GX460
- 2011 Sienna
- 2007-2011 Lexus ES35
- 2009-2010 Pontiac Vibes designed for General Motors by Toyota.
- 2009-2011 Mazda6
- 2007-2011 CX-7 and CX-9
- 2004-2011 RX-8
- 2004-2006 MPV
- 2003-2008 Mazda6
- 2006-2007 Mazdaspeed6
- 2003-2004 Legacy
- 2003-2004 Outback
- 2006 Saab 9-2x made by Subaru
- 2003-2006 Baja pickups
- 2005-2008 Infiniti FX35 and FX45
- 2003-2004 Infiniti I30 and I35
- 2006-2010 Infiniti M35
- 2007-2011 Nissan Versa
- 2009-2011 Ferrari California
- 2010-2011 458 Italia
- 2006-2007 Lancer and Lancer Evolution
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$1.8 MillionExpenses: $20,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $765,000.00 | Net to Client: $1 Million
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULTS
$2 MillionExpenses: $78,475.96 | Attorneys Fees: $850,087.96 | Net to Client: $1,071,436.00
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$2.3 MillionExpenses: $200,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $900,000.00 | Net to Client: $1.2 Million