15-Month-Old Burned with Hot Liquid at Virginia Daycare
Details of the Accident
The school administration at the Tree of Life Early Learning Center on Greenview Drive told ABC-13 that the incident was a horrible accident.
According to reports, the 15-month-old baby's leg got caught in the cord of a crock pot used to heat bottles, causing the crock-pot to tip over and spill hot water on the child.
The EMT's at the scene said that the child sustained non-life threatening injuries.
Burn Injury Statistics
According to the American Burn Association:
- Roughly 450,000 patients receive hospital and ER treatment for burns each year.
- Of these burn injuries, roughly 3,400 of them are fatal.
- Burns and fires are the third leading cause of death in the home.
- 44% of all burn injuries are a result of fire or flame burning.
- 33% of all burn injuries are a result of scalding from wet or moist heat.
- Scalding is the most common form of burn injury in children under four years old.
- 200,000 children under four years old are burned by scalding liquid every year.
- 50% of scalding injuries come from spilled food or drinks.
- Roughly 15,000 children a year require hospitalization for burn injuries.
- Roughly 1,100 children die each year from burn-related injuries.
Identifying and Treating Serious Burn
A major burn will often result in:
- Red, white, or splotchy skin
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of skin
To treat a major burn, it is recommended that the victim or guardian:
- Call 911 or emergency medical help immediately if the area burned is larger than 3 inches in diameter.
- Protect the burned person from further harm.
- Check for signs of circulation, and begin CPR if needed.
- Remove jewelry, belts, and other restrictive items from any areas that may be swelling.
- Do NOT immerse the burn in cold water, as this will put burn victim at risk of hypothermia or shock.
- Elevate the burned area above heart level if possible.
- Cover the area of the burn with a moist bandage or a clean cloth