2 Dead after Bacterial Infections in Corpus Christi Hospitals
KRIS-TV has reported that two patients who developed a bacterial infection while receiving calcium gluconate treatment in Corpus Christi hospitals have died.
Investigations have begun into whether the deaths are directly linked to the unexpired sterile products recalled by Specialty Compounding.
About Specialty Compounding and Bacterial Infection
“Unfortunately, the average patient is not going to be able to prevent something like this from happening because this occurs when there’s a contaminated agent and your doctor prescribes it and then the nurse starts the IV.” – Public Health Director Dr. William Burgin as published by KRIS-TV.
- Sunday, the Food and Drug Administration issued a release identifying a nationwide recall for unexpired sterile medications manufactured by Specialty Compounding. This was done in response to reports that 15 patients had contracted a bacterial infection while being treated in hospitals.
- Two of the patients who contracted the infection died Tuesday, prompting furhter investigations into the link between the recalled products and the outbreak of infection.
- The incidents of infection occurred in two Corpus Christi hospitals: Bay Area Medical Center and Doctors Regional Medical Center.
- Patients were undergoing treatment with calcium gluconate IVs that were possible contaminated with Rhodococcus equi.
- A previous inspection of the Specialty Compounding facilities near Austin resulted in the issuance of a FDA Form 483 to the company after inspectors observed conditions which could violate the Food Drug and Cosmetic Act.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of drug and product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division have extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. The Defective Drug and Products Division represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of medical devices and/ or defective pharmaceuticals.
If you or a loved one have been injured by or have developed serious side-effects from the use of defective medications or medical devices, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.