3 People Sick From Infected Organ Transplants
Three people developed serious brain problems after receiving organ transplants from the same donor who was infected by an unusual parasite before she died.
About the Transplants
According to FOX News. a parasite infected donor, a 43-year-old woman, died from and stroke and her liver, kidneys, and heart were transplanted into three different people. Soon after their operations, these people started having symptoms suggesting brain issues.
One patient was experiencing tremors when walking, another suffered from brain inflammation, and the third developed a fever and showed changes in behavior. The patient with the kidney transplant got worse and died in May.
It was later discovered that the patients were infected with a parasite called Encephalitozoon cuniculi, which belongs to a group of organisms known as microsporidia, contracted from the donor. The surviving patients were given treatments for their symptoms.
Organ Transplant Statistics
The following information was provided by the American Transplant Foundation:
- An average of 79 people receive organ transplants every day.
- Living people make more than 6,000 organ donations each year.
- 25% of those donors are not related to the recipient.
- More than 617,000 transplants have occurred in the United States since 1988.
- Daily, an average of 21 people die from the lack of available organs for transplant.