4th of July Safety- Drinking and Driving
July 4th is a day to celebrate America's Independence as well as to enjoy time with family and friends. Sadly, it is also known as one of the deadliest holiday weekends for traffic accidents. This weekend, thousands will travel to beaches, rivers, and lakes, or even out of town to celebrate. But drivers should be advised- law enforcement will be on high alert for drunk drivers as part of a state-wide effort to crackdown on alcohol-related holiday accidents.
4th of July Drinking and Driving Statistics
- Half of all deadly crashes on 4th of July weekend are alcohol-related. (NHTSA)
- Last year, there were 337 alcohol-related crashes on 4th of July weekend in Texas.
Drunk Driving Facts
- In the state of Texas, as well as the rest of the U.S., anyone driving with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08 grams per deciliter or higher is considered legally impaired.
- Impaired drivers risk killing, disabling, disfiguring, and injuring themselves and others
- A DUI/DWI can cost you up to $20,000
Safety Tips to get you through the 4th
Information below provided by the National Safety Commission:
- Plan a safe way home before the festivities begin
- Before drinking, designate a sober driver and give that person your keys
- If you're impaired, use a taxi, call a sober friend or family member, or use public transportation so you are sure to get home safely
- Use your community's Sober Rides program
- If you happen to see a drunk driver on the road, don't hesitate to contact local law enforcement
P.A.S.S. your Keys
P.A.S.S. stands for Person Appointed to Stay Sober. The Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT) encourages drivers to get a weekend P.A.S.S. to avoid drunk driving accidents over the holiday weekend.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57