5 Shocking Halloween Health Hazards
Most parents experience a healthy dose of worry on Halloween night. From tainted candy to candle fires, it can be a dangerous world out there for trick-or-treaters. MyHealthNewsDaily has compiled a list of 5 new shocking Halloween Health Hazards for parents to consider before letting their little ghosts and goblins hit the streets.
Licorice and Heart Attacks
- Too much black licorice can cause the body’s potassium levels to fall.
- This can lead to abnormal heart beat, swelling of the heart, and even heart failure.
- Caution: If a child (or adult) experiences irregular heartbeat or muscle weakness, contact a doctor right away.
- The sugar substitute sorbitol can be used in certain candies.
- Too much sorbitol can cause bloating, stomach cramps, and diarrhea.
- Caution: Be careful how many “dietetic” candies your child consumes.
Eggs and Eye Injuries
- Egg throwing causes serious eye injuries every Halloween.
- Injuries include bleeding in the eye, corneal scratches, and retinal swelling.
- Caution: To avoid looking like a real life pirate, avoid those flying eggs.
Glow Stick Poisoning
- Calls to poison control about glow stick poisonings spike during Halloween.
- Ingesting glow stick liquid can cause stomach irritation and/or vomiting.
- Caution: Don’t let kids break open glow sticks and ingest the liquid. If they do, call poison control.
- Lead can be found in candy buckets and even fake teeth.
- Lead is a neuro-toxin which can cause serious health problems.
- Caution: If you purchase store-bought Halloween accessories, pay attention to product recalls.
Thomas J. Henry Personal Injury Attorneys
Thomas J. Henry is a personal injury law firm with offices in Corpus Christi, Texas and Houston, Texas representing accident victims nationwide. Our priority is to provide our clients with the best legal representation. Our experienced trial attorneys are committed to defending your rights in personal injury matters including defective products and on the job accidents. Contact our offices, 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57