54 Children and Teens Have Ingested Recalled Magnets
Do you have these magnetic balls on your desk? Six retailers have voluntarily recalled the Buckyballs and Buckycubes high powered magnet sets after 54 children and teens ingested them and 53 required medical attention afterward.
CPSC FINDS FLAWS IN DESIGN, WARNING, AND INSTRUCTION
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) filed a very rare administrative complaint against the manufacturers of these magnets in July, 2012 after finding flaws in the product’s design, warning, and instruction. Unfortunately, recall negotiations with the New York-based company Maxfield & Oberton did not work and they have since gone out of business, but their products may still be found in offices and homes.
SIX RETAILERS REMOVE MAGNETS FROM THEIR SHELVES
Even though the company did not cooperate, six well known retailers have taken responsibility for removing Buckyballs and Buckycubes from their stores. These retailers partnered with the Consumer Product Safety Commission after they issued an official recall on April 12th 2013. The CPSC’s website gave this contact information to obtain instructions for a remedy:
- Barnes & Noble, toll-free at (855) 592-2993 ,www.barnesandnoble.com
- Bed Bath & Beyond, toll-free at (800) 462-3966,www.bedbathandbeyond.com
- Brookstone, toll-free at (866) 576-7337 or online at www.brookstone.com
- Participating Hallmark retailers, toll-free at (800) 425-5627 or online at www.hallmark.com/recall-product/
- Marbles the Brain Store, toll-free at (877) 527-2460 or online at www.marblesthebrainstore.com
- ThinkGeek, toll-free at (888) 433-5788 or online at www.thinkgeek.com/buckyballs/index.shtml
NUMBER OF KIDS INGESTING MAGNETS IS ON THE RISE
A 2012 survey of U.S. pediatric gastroenterologists reported 480 cases of children ingesting magnets in the last 10 years. What is shocking is that about 42% of these cases were reported in the last year. This dramatic increase is thought to be caused by increased availability to high powered magnets.
Swallowed magnets can cause serious illness and intestinal problems. This is especially true if two magnets are ingested because they can attach to one another inside the body trapping soft tissue in between and possibly leading to holes in the stomach lining.
WHAT TO DO IF MAGNETS HAVE BEEN SWALLOWED
If you suspect magnets have been ingested seek immediate medical attention and look for signs such as:
- Abdominal pains
Contact an Experienced Child Injury Attorney
At Thomas J. Henry, we have the experience and resources to handle your child’s case. If your child has been the victim of a serious injury, contact our offices. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57