6-Year-Old Drowns Aboard Carnival Cruise Ship
About the Carnival Cruise Ship Drowning
- According to an article published by Reuters, 6-year-old Qwentyn Hunter was swimming with his brother when he was suddenly found at the bottom of the crowded, mid-ship swimming pool.
- Either the staff or other passengers attempted to resuscitate Qwentyn through CPR, but their attempts failed.
- A spokesperson for Carnival stated that there are no lifeguards on duty aboard their cruise ships, but parental supervision is required for children under 13. Qwentyn’s parents were at the pool at the time of the accident.
- Carnival Corp & Plc has experienced decreased profits and traffic following the sinking of their Costa Concoria cruise ship of the coast of Italy which resulted in the deaths of 32 passengers and staff.
U.S. Drowning Statistics
- According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 3,533 people drowned between 2005 and 2009. This translates to about 10 unintentional drowning deaths every day, not including boating accidents.
- Drowning is currently listed as the fifth leading cause for unintentional injury related deaths in the United States.
- While approximately 20 percent of all drowning deaths occur in children under 14, children under 4 years of age are most at risk.
- Drowning accounts for 30 percent of all deaths of children under four making it the second most common cause of death in the age group behind birth defects.
- Even when not fatal, drowning injuries can lead to brain injury resulting in long-term disabilities including memory loss, learning disability and loss of basic functions.
Contact an Experienced Child Injury Attorney
At Thomas J. Henry, we have the experience and resources to handle your child’s case. If your child has been the victim of a serious injury, contact our offices. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57