7 Workers Affected by Chemical Fumes
According to the Associated Press (AP), workers at a concrete plant in North Texas suffered breathing problems after a chemical accident at an adjacent business caused dangerous fumes to be released.
Details of the North Texas Chemical Accident
The chemical mishap happened at Valley Solvents & Chemicals in Fort Worth. Reports indicate that the fumes were related to the use of hydrochloric acid.
The fumes wafted into CowTown Redi Mix Inc., the concrete plant, and workers reported the odor to officials. Fort Worth firefighters responded and treated seven workers for minor breathing problems.
Three of the workers who inhaled the vapors were transported to a nearby hospital for further medical treatment. There were no reported injuries from the employees of the chemical plant.
Officials are still investigating to uncover how the incident occurred.
About Hydrochloric Acid
Information provided by Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Medline.
- Hydrochloric acid is used in the production of chlorides, fertilizers, and dyes, in electroplating, and in the photographic, textile, and rubber industries.
- Hydrochloric acid is corrosive to the eyes, skin, and mucous membranes
- Long term occupational exposure to hydrochloric acid has been reported to cause gastritis, chronic bronchitis, dermatitis, and photosensitization in workers.
- Symptoms from inhaling hydrochloric acid include bluish color to lips and fingernails, chest tightness, choking, coughing, coughing up blood, dizziness, low blood pressure, rapid pulse, shortness of breath, and weakness.