Contact us 24/7
View all

93 Patrons of San Francisco Restaurant Contract Serious Infection

Elsie Aniekwe1 year ago

93 unfortunate patrons have fallen ill after dining at San Francisco Mariscos San Juan Mexican Restaurant. Officials have determined that the illnesses were caused by shigella bacteria contamination and at least a dozen of the infected were listed in intensive care.

About the Shigella Bacteria Contamination

According to the New York Daily News, the infections occurred in patrons who ate at the restaurant on October 16 and October 17.

The Santa Clara County Department of Public Health disclosed a warning to all who dined at the restaurant on the days in question.  Mariscos San Juan, since Sunday, has been closed off to the public pending further investigation.

Officials have noted investigation efforts have been delayed due to lack of cooperative restaurant employees that will voluntarily submit stool samples for lab testing.

One man has taken legal action against the Latin establishment and has filed a lawsuit.

Details of the Subsequent Lawsuit

Greg Meissner, a dean of an area high school, has filed the lawsuit against the restaurant owners. As reported, Meissner is the first victim to file suit and while being a devoted long-time customer of the restaurant.

Meissner went on to elaborately describe the nail biting detail his ordeal that began from consuming a highly adulterated ceviche tostada via take-away from Mariscos San Juan.  

“It is an extremely high fever, really bad chills, extremely bad cramping, constant running to the bathroom, nausea, vomiting, dizziness,” he explained to reporters. 

Meissner, like most who are infected with the shigella bacteria, battled a body fever of 105 degrees, all while anxiously lying down in an ER bed for seven hours at O'Connor Hospital. He has been said to now be in stable condition, resting in his California home.

What is Shigella?

According to an affiliate of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), FoodSafety.gov, shigella is a highly contagious germ from a family of bacteria that causes infected humans to experience symptoms such as sudden abdominal cramping, fever, diarrhea that may be bloody or contains mucus, nausea and vomiting.

The illness, properly termed shigellosis, will overtake the body’s nervous and immune system after staying dormant for 1-7 days, bringing forth symptoms that can last up to 10 days.  The bacteria’s sources are adulterated food or water, or physical contact with a person who is carrying the infection. 

Now, before you break out the disinfectant spray and begin to seal all doors and windows of your home, take into consideration that prevention of this illness is easily achievable.

Food Safety.gov reminds the public that simply “washing hands with soap carefully and frequently, especially after going to the bathroom, after changing diapers, and before preparing foods or beverages,” is a highly effective method of prevention

HAVE YOU BEEN INJURED?

If you’ve been injured, we can help. Contact us