521 Starr Street
A Staple to the Community
Located in downtown Corpus Christi, 521 Starr Street has become a staple to the local community. Many giveaways, including the annual Turkey Giveaway, have centered around this location and the majority of the surrounding communities know where it is located just from hearing about these events.
A BRIEF ACCOUNT OF THE PROPERTY
On January 22, 1910, 521 Starr Street was bought by the United States of America for $9000 and remained under their ownership until 2002. Reportedly, when the building was constructed in the early 1900’s, it was known as the U.S. Customs House. More recently, it has been known as the Former Federal Courthouse Building.
The building was vacated by the United States in 2002 upon completion of the new Federal Courthouse Building located northeast of the property along Shoreline Boulevard. Thomas J. Henry bought the property to help in the expansion of his law firm and to provide greater resources to his clients.
Designed by Mr. James A. Wetmore in the early 1900s, the Former Federal Courthouse exemplifies Classic Revival Architecture. The exterior of the building is better termed as “handsome.” Because of the classical styling of the building’s exterior and the particular construction materials used, the building is eligible for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places.
A TRUE PIECE OF HISTORY
Many judges and political figures have walked through this building and still come back from time to time to visit the historic site. Often, people from around the country come in and ask questions about the historic building. We feel privileged to have such a great piece of history and welcome your inquiries.