Austin Pharmacy Malpractice Lawyers
WHAT IS PHARMACEUTICAL MALPRACTICE?
Pharmaceutical malpractice refers to any form of negligence or error by pharmacy technicians, in which they fail to properly perform their duties as medical providers. This type of malpractice can cause severe medical complications, and often have been known to have fatal consequences.
More than one million people in the United States annually are affected by a medication distribution error. Errors can occur at many steps of pharmaceutical processing, including during prescription, repackaging, administration, or monitoring. Those who have been affected by negligence are entitled to compensation for their injuries, illnesses, medical costs, lost wages, and more.
If you or a member of your family have been negatively affected by an injury due to pharmaceutical errors, contact Thomas J. Henry for assistance. Our experienced pharmacy malpractice attorneys are available to take your call and evaluate your claim.
U.S. PHARMACY MALPRACTICE STATISTICS
- 21 percent of all patients report experiences with medical errors or malpractice
- There are approximately 251,454 deaths in the U.S. per year that were the result of medical errors
- Premature deaths due to malpractice is even higher at over 400,000 fatalities annually
COMMON CAUSES OF PHARMACEUTICAL ERRORS
According to the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA), medication errors are often the result of:
- Poor communication
- Ambiguities in product names, directions for use, medical abbreviations, or writing
- Poor procedures or techniques
- Patient misuse because of poor understanding of the directions for use of the product
- Job stress
- Lack of product knowledge or training
- Similar packaging of multiple products
COMMON TYPES OF PHARMACY MALPRACTICE ERRORS
- Improper prescription
- Prescribing medicine without proper licensing
- Illicit use or distribution
- Illegal sales
- Improper dosage
- Failure to supervise pharmacy staff
- Failure to inform patient of possible complications
- Pharmacist negligence
- Disclosure of confidential medical information
WHAT ARE THE CONSEQUENCES OF PHARMACEUTICAL MALPRACTICE?
A number of illnesses and injuries may be caused by a medical error, which include but are not limited to:
- Allergic reactions
- Autoimmune issues
- Birth defects, miscarriage, or other pregnancy complications
- Organ failure
MEDICAL SPECIALITIES INVOLVED IN MALPRACTICE LAWSUITS
According to a 2017 report by Medscape, the following specialities are most frequently involved in medical malpractice lawsuits:
- Surgery – 85%
- OB/GYN & Women’s Health – 85%
- Otolaryngology – 78%
- Urology – 77%
- Orthopedics – 76%
- Plastic Surgery/Aesthetic Medicine – 73%
- Radiology – 70%
- Emergency Medicine – 65%
- Gastroenterology – 62%
- Anesthesiology – 61%
CONTACT AN EXPERIENCED AUSTIN PHARMACY MALPRACTICE ATTORNEY
If you or a loved one have been injured due to pharmaceutical negligence, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our firm has represented victims of medical and pharmaceutical errors for more than 25 years and continues to provide dynamic and personal representation to all injured clients. Pharmaceutical errors are a serious matter that can lead to severe injuries, illnesses, and in some cases death. You need a law firm with the legal resources and experienced attorneys necessary to handle your case properly and efficiently. Thomas J. Henry has a proven history of achieving record-breaking, real results for clients in a variety of personal injury lawsuits.
- Phone Number: (512) 520-0221 (attorneys available 24/7, nights and weekends)
- Address: 901 S MoPac Expy #300, Austin, TX 78746 (walk-in Monday through Friday)
Thank you all very much. Great experience considering the circumstances Me and my family really appreciated the time spent to resolve my issues. If I ever need again I will be calling.
– Jason B., 2/22/2018