Austin Medical Malpractice Lawyer
Medical Malpractice Attorney Aiding Victims in Austin
There are numerous ways in which a person can be injured. You never know when you might be in a car accident, for example, or suffer a serious slip and fall. But one of the most shocking and egregious sources of injury is also the one that is least expected: medical malpractice.
In Texas in 2015, there were 7,150 medical malpractice complaints made. Only 24 percent of these complaints were closed.
At the law offices of Thomas J. Henry, our Austin medical malpractice lawyers understand how upsetting it can be to suffer harm at your physician’s hands. If you are a victim of malpractice, don’t hesitate to call our Austin medical malpractice attorneys for a free consultation.
Medical Malpractice Practice Areas: What Is Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice occurs any time that a physician or healthcare professional breaches the medical standard of care that is owed to a patient and patient harm results. This can involve numerous different medical acts and types of patient harm. Some of the most common types of medical malpractice that our lawyers have seen include:
- Medication errors;
- Delayed diagnosis;
- Treatment errors;
- Surgical errors;
- Birth injury; and
- Failure to treat.
These types of errors can lead to serious instances of patient harm, including a worsening of condition, adverse reaction (to a drug), need for repeat treatment, need for additional (and invasive) treatment, long-term health complications, and even death. In fact, medical malpractice is a leading cause of death in the United States.
24.4 per 1,000 residents are victims of medical malpractice in the state of Texas.
How to Win a Medical Malpractice Suit in Austin
If you believe that you have suffered an injury due to a physician’s act of malpractice, you can seek compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, future costs, pain, and suffering. In order for your claim to be successful, you must:
- Prove a breach of the medical standard of care. The most important part of a medical malpractice claim is establishing the medical standard of care owed to you–which must be done with expert testimony and opinion–and then proving that the healthcare professional in question breached this standard.
- Prove that your injuries were related to the breach. It is not enough to merely prove that your doctor committed an act of malpractice; you must prove causation – that is, that your injuries would not have occurred but for the malpractice. You must also prove the extent of damages you’ve suffered.
- File your claim within the statute of limitations. In Texas, you only have two years from the date of cause of action (act of malpractice) to file your medical malpractice claim. With only a few exceptions to this rule, called the statute of limitations, if you wait longer than two years’ time, you will likely be barred from recovery.
- Hire a skilled lawyer. A medical malpractice claim is not easy to win, and you can be assured of the fact that the healthcare professional will be represented by a tough lawyer, if not a team of lawyers. The best way to improve your chances of winning your suit and recouping the damages that you deserve is to fight back by hiring a skilled and experienced Austin medical malpractice attorney.
Schedule a Free Consultation with Our Austin Medical Malpractice Lawyer Today
Bringing forth a medical malpractice suit can be intimidating, and may be the last thing you want to do when you are recovering from a serious health crisis or injury.
But if you don’t act now, you may lose out on your chance to recover the compensation that you are entitled to. Medical malpractice is unacceptable, and when it occurs, our lawyers at the offices of Thomas J. Henry are passionate about helping victims seek justice.
For your no-cost consultation with our Austin medical malpractice attorneys, please call us today or send us a message. We speak Spanish and we are available to talk 24/7.
- Phone Number: (512) 347-1200 (attorneys available 24/7, nights and weekends)
- Address: 901 S MoPac Expy #300, Austin, TX 78746 (walk-in Monday through Friday)
The communication between my lawyer and I was what made this experience and my choice to go with the TJH firm the best decision I have ever made. If you are looking for a team that will be there for you and a lawyer that will fight for you. Look no further than this firm.
– Daniella G., 8/22/2018