El Paso Legal Malpractice Lawyers
Barratry Attorneys Serving El Paso and Surrounding Communities
Many people have heard of medical malpractice, but the idea of legal malpractice may not be as well known to the general public. Like medical providers, legal professionals are held to a certain standard of service. When an attorney conducts business unethically, they can be held accountable for taking advantage of unsuspecting and innocent clients. One of the most common forms of legal malpractice in El Paso is illegal solicitation, or case running. Case running refers to the unethical practice of reaching out to severely injured victims, such as those in a car accident.
Victims of legal malpractice can fight to recover fees paid to their unethical lawyer and hold them accountable for their actions.
It is often difficult to determine if you’ve fallen victim to case running. When a lawyer plans on taking advantage of a potential client, they may send one of the following people to attempt to get your business:
- Tow-truck drivers
- Medical professionals
- Insurance agents
- News reporters
- Funeral home workers
Examples of Illegal Solicitation by an El Paso Attorney
Some acts of barratry are easy to notice. If someone offers you a gift, cash, or other promises if you sign up your case with a certain attorney or law firm, you may be a target of an unethical lawyer. These actions are illegal, and many of the actors that will attempt to get a law firm business will receive referral fees for their soliciting.
Ask yourself the following questions if you think you may have been the target of an unethical attorney:
- Did you receive phone calls from individuals who told you a family member had asked them to talk to you about hiring an attorney when you never told your family you wanted to hire an attorney?
- Were you approached by an attorney or someone acting on behalf of an attorney at the funeral home following the death of a loved one?
- Did a tow truck driver or body shop employee try to force you to hire a particular attorney?
- Did a police officer at the scene of your accident persuade you to call an attorney?
- Did your attorney or service provider bribe you with money, gifts or “free” items in exchange for signing a contract?
- Did anyone claiming to be part of a law firm arrive at your house, workplace, or at the hospital to solicit your case, without you contacting them?
It is important to hold unethical attorneys accountable for their actions. If you answered “yes” to any of the above questions, contact Thomas J. Henry Injury Attorneys. Our El Paso legal malpractice lawyers will provide you with a free legal consultation and go over your case with you.
Types of Legal Malpractice
Besides barratry or illegal solicitation, there are other types of legal malpractice that may warrant action against an unethical lawyer in El Paso:
- Attorney Negligence: If you attorney did not treat your case as well as an average attorney should, then your attorney may have been negligent in handling your case. This may include outrageous mistakes by the attorney, such as missing court dates and deadlines, failing to submit documents to the court, or being otherwise irresponsible in your representation.
- Breach of Fiduciary Duty: If an attorney places their best interest ahead of yours and your case was adversely affected, your attorney may have committed malpractice by breaching his or her fiduciary duty. Remember, when it comes to legal representation, your interests always come before your attorney’s financial gain.
- Breach of Contract: When you hire an attorney, you are entered into a legally binding contract with them. If your attorney fails to meet his or her contractual obligations, you can pursue a legal malpractice lawsuit and seek damages.
- Settling Without Your Permission: Your attorney cannot settle your case without your permission. If you were not consulted before your attorney agreed to a settlement on your behalf, you may have a legal malpractice case.
Thomas J. Henry’s History of Fighting Case Runners in Texas
Thomas J. Henry helped expose Mauricio Celis, a notorious non-lawyer who made a small fortune obtaining personal injury cases which he then referred to other South Texas lawyers. By the time Celis was brought to justice in 2007, he had purchased a Rolls-Royce, Bentley, and a BMW and traveled by private jet all with money that should have been paid out to clients. Thomas J. Henry’s efforts were recognized in May 2010 when TexasMonthly ran an article entitled “The Great Pretender.”
Victim of Barratry or Illegal Solicitation? Speak to Our Legal Malpractice Lawyers in El Paso
Have you or a loved one fallen victim to an unethical attorney or law firm? There are options for you to take to seek compensation and justice. Don’t wait another day to fight for what you deserve. Call Thomas J. Henry Injury Attorneys and receive a free case review from an experienced, local El Paso legal malpractice attorney. For more than 25 years, our firm has fought for victims of all types of accidents and malpractice, including victims of barratry. Our lawyers are available 24/7 to assist you.
- Phone number: 915-566-0788 (attorneys available 24/7 to assist you)
- Address: 221 N. Kansas Street, Suite 700, El Paso, Texas 79901 (walk-in Monday through Friday)
Extremely thorough and professional service
– Trinidad P., 3/22/2018