Houston Pharmacy Malpractice Lawyers
WHAT IS PHARMACEUTICAL MALPRACTICE?
Pharmaceutical malpractice refers to lawsuits involving negligence or error by pharmacists, hospitals, or healthcare providers responsible for drug distribution, in which they fail to properly perform their duties as medical providers. These errors may include, but are not limited to, improper prescriptions, administering the wrong type of medication, and incorrect dosages. Pharmacy malpractice can result in devastating medical complications, most of which could have been prevented with adhering to the proper safety guidelines.
According to the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA), medication errors are most commonly a result of poor communication, ambiguities in product names, directions for use, medical abbreviations or writing, poor procedures, patient misuse due to poor understanding of the directions for use of the product, job stress, lack of product knowledge or training, and similar packaging of multiple products.
Thomas J. Henry’s Houston pharmacy malpractice attorneys are available to assist you if you or a loved one’s life has been disrupted by pharmaceutical errors. We are available to take your call and evaluate your claim 24/7, nights and weekends.
LEGAL DUTIES FOR PHARMACISTS
It may vary depending on you state of residence, but pharmacists are generally responsible for the following legal duties beyond dispensing medication to fill prescriptions:
- Reviewing a prescription in light of the patient’s past medical history
- Making the patient aware of potential side effects caused by the medication
- Screening multiple prescriptions from different healthcare providers to ensure that they can safely be taken together
- Contacting the patient’s healthcare provider if they believe the prescription would be harmful to the patient or multiple prescriptions should not be taken together
- Keeping and referring to patient’s medical history
WHAT ARE THE CONSEQUENCES OF PHARMACY MALPRACTICE?
Medical malpractice can result in a number of complications and injuries, including:
- Allergic reactions
- Birth Defects
- Chronic Pain
- Increase in medical expenses
- Loss of employment or wages
U.S. PHARMACY MALPRACTICE STATISTICS
- Over 1.3 million people are injured each year because of medication errors
- Medication errors cost in excess of $29 billion per year-one estimate is as high as $72 billion a year
- Nearly 100,000 people die every year as a result of medication mistakes
- About 3% of all hospital admissions are related to problems with medications and about 3% of hospitalized patients are harmed by medication error
CONTACT AN EXPERIENCED HOUSTON PHARMACY MALPRACTICE ATTORNEY
If you or a loved one have been injured due to pharmaceutical negligence, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our firm has represented victims of medical and pharmaceutical errors for more than 25 years and continues to provide dynamic and personal representation to all injured clients. Pharmaceutical errors are a serious matter that can lead to severe injuries, illnesses, and in some cases death. You need a law firm with the legal resources and experienced attorneys necessary to handle your case properly and efficiently. Thomas J. Henry has a proven history of achieving record-breaking, real results for clients in a variety of personal injury lawsuits.
- Our Houston Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone number: (713) 338-2525 (attorneys available 24/7 to assist you)
- Address: 12 Greenway Plaza, Suite 1100 Houston, Texas 77046 (walk-in Monday through Friday)
We had a good service very respectful and on time nice good hearted people
– Moses E., 10/9/2018