ADHD Drug Linked To Child’s Suicide
A recent suicide by a 9-year-old boy in Australia on Strattera has rekindled the debate over prescription drug rates for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
Strattera Linked to Suicidal Thoughts in Children
- Though Strattera already carries a warning label concerning increased risk of suicide in children, experts and regulation agencies worldwide are now urging that doctors take sufficient measures to ensure that parents understand that, though rare, suicide is a recognized risk.
- This comes after Australia’s Fairfax media uncovered three recent attempted suicides by children associated with the drug in New South Wales alone, with one of the suicide attempts, that of a 9-year-old boy, leading to death.
- The U.S. has taken notice as while Australia has approximately 6,000 children taking Stattera, the United States currently has 351,000 children being prescribed the drug – 7,900 between the ages of 0 and 5.
Regulatory Agency Warnings and Clinical Trials on Strattera
- According to the Citizens Commission on Human Rights International, 16 regulational agencies from six countries (United States, Ireland, Australia, United Kingdom, Russia and Canada) and European Union have issued warning over Strattera, Including:
- 7 warnings of Strattera causing suicidal thoughts/behavior/risk
- 6 warnings of Strattera causing heart problems
- 4 warnings of Strattera causing death/sudden death
- 3 warnings of Strattera causing stroke
- 3 warnings of Strattera causing mania/psychosis
- 2 warnings of Strattera causing violence/hostility/aggression
- 2 warnings of Strattera causing hallucinations
- 2 warnings of Strattera causing changes in blood pressure
- 1 warning of Strattera causing seizures
- 1 warning of Strattera causing liver problems
- 1 warning of Strattera causing depression
- The organization also references three studies in the United States and Denmark that have been conducted on the drug causing:
- Homicidal ideation and actions
- Mania and Psychosis
- Birth Defects
Other Side Effects of Stattera
Along with suicidal thinking other listed side effects include:
- Liver Problems
- Slowed Growth
- Serious Allergic Reactions
- Mood Swings
- Decreased Appetite
- Weight Loss
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of drug and product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division have extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. The Defective Drug and Products Division represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of medical devices and/ or defective pharmaceuticals.
If you or a loved one have been injured by or have developed serious side-effects from the use of defective medications or pharmaceuticals, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57