APA Launches Choose Wisely Campaign
In the midst of rising concerns and federal probes, the American Psychiatric Association (APA) has launched a new campaign against the overprescribing of antipsychotic medicines.
Feds Investigate Overprescribing of Antipsychotics
- According to the American Psychiatric Association, antipsychotics are being prescribed too readily to treat dementia, behavioral problems, and even insomnia in very young children.
Science World Report warns that the use of atypical antipsychotics like Abilify, Risperdal, and Seroquel comes with significant risks including:
- Increased risk of diabetes
- Cardiovascular problems
- Suicidal thoughts
- Early death
- The federal government has already launched a probe believing children on Medicaid are be overprescribed these dangerous drugs.
- According to Mathematical Policy Research, 2008 saw Medicaid spend $3.6 billion dollars on antipsychotic prescriptions for over 600,000 children. This is more than double the $1.65 billion spent in 1999.
American Psychiatric Association Launches Choose Wisely Campaign
- In an attempt to raise knowledge among patients, parents and physicians on the proper prescribing of antipsychotics and the dangers associated with them, the American Psychiatric Association has launched the Choose Wisely campaign.
- Choose Wisely warns that due to the dangerous side effects associated with antipsychotics, they should never be chosen as the first course of treatment.
- The campaign also advises against prescribing two or more different antipsychotics to a patient except in rare occasions.
- More than 50 other medical groups have joined the campaign issuing “Five Things Patients and Physicians Should Know” lists for everything from antibiotics to routine pediatric care.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of drug and product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division have extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. The Defective Drug and Products Division represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of medical devices and/ or defective pharmaceuticals.
If you or a loved one have been injured by or have developed serious side-effects from the use of defective medications or pharmaceuticals, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57