Bicyclist Sues New York over Defective Patch of Road
The state of New York has agreed to pay a bicyclist $13 million to settle a lawsuit over a defective patch of road.
About the Bicycle Accident
- According to reports, the plaintiff was bicycling on a newly paved road when he veered to the right near an intersection to allow an approaching vehicle to pass.
- The plaintiff claimed that his front tire encountered a 2.5 inch drop-off that separated the newly resurfaced road and a section that had been missed by maintenance crew causing him to fall from his bike.
- Due to the fall, the plaintiff suffered neck injuries and damage to the C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6 and C7 levels of his spine. He filed a lawsuit against the city of New York.
Bicyclist’s Lawsuit against New York for Defective Road
- In his lawsuit, the plaintiff claimed that the state of New York was negligent in maintaining the road.
- According to a maintenance supervisor, the defective area would have been resurfaced had it been noticed.
- Though the plaintiff underwent decompression and fusion surgery, he had already sustained permanent damage that causes incomplete quadriplegia which he claimed prevented him from going back to work.
- The judge found the state 90 percent liable for the accident and the plaintiff 10 percent liable. New York agreed to pay the $13,000,000 to settle the case.
Contact an Experienced Bicycle Accident Attorney
No one should have to suffer because of someone else's mistake or negligence. Whether your injury was caused by a drunk driver, reckless or negligent driving, or even intentional misconduct, our aggressive and persistent pressure on the defendant will give us the information we need to win your case.
At Thomas J. Henry, we dedicate our time and knowledge to your needs. With over 20 years of experience, we have shown each of our clients that we are committed to getting results. Our attorneys are available 24/7 nights and weekends in order to be there when you need us. Choose an attorney who is aggressive, dedicated, and experienced. Contact Thomas J. Henry today. We represent clients/victims all over the country.