Biomet M2a-Magnum Hip Replacement Can Cause Metallosis
Biomet, a major hip and knee replacement manufacturer, is under scrutiny after increasing reports of adverse events, including metallosis, associated with their M2a-Magnum hip replacements.
This comes only months after the Securities and Exchange Commission fined the company more than $22 million for charges of foreign bribery and foreign corruption.
About of Biomet and M2a-Magnum Hip Replacements
- Biomet was founded in 1977 in Warsaw, Indiana.
- In 2007, it was purchased by private companies including the Blackstone Group and Goldman Sachs.
- Biomet reports annual sales over $2.5 billion.
- Biomet accounts for 12 percent of the domestic implant market.
- Biomet was successfully sued by the Securities and Exchange Commission in March for violation of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- M2a-Magnum hip replacements were approved by the FDA and released in 2004 without a requirement for clinical trials or premarket testing.
Metal-to-Metal Hip Replacements and Metallosis
For more information on metallosis click here.
As metal-on-metal implants operate, the rubbing of the ball on the socket releases tiny metal particles which may find there way into the blood stream, soft tissue, and internal organs. This can lead to metallosis which may cause:
- Damaged Tissue around the Implant
- Tissue Necrosis (Tissue Death)
- Severe Joint Pain
- Loosening of the Implant
- Hip Dislocation/Fracture
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of drug and product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division have extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. The Defective Drug and Products Division represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of medical devices and/ or defective pharmaceuticals.
If you or a loved one have been injured by or have developed serious side-effects from the use of defective medical devices or pharmaceuticals, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.