Bleach Water Accidentally Served At New Jersey Day Care
A day care in downtown New Jersey accidentally served bleach water during a morning snack to some of its preschoolers and teachers.
About The Bleach Water Accident
According to Reuters, the incident occurred on Thursday, September 11, at Growing Tree Learning Center of Jersey City, New Jersey. The day care cares for 65 children, ages ranging from infant to four year-olds.
The children were given fruit and water for snack time.
According to Keith Kearney, the day care director, the incident occurred when a “repurposed plastic milk jug with a bleach water solution” was used to “pour water for some of the children” by a member of the kitchen staff.
The bleach solution is used to wipe down surfaces, but apparently the label on the bottle was not large enough to be noticed by the staff member.
28 Children Hospitalized
Fortunately, an adult noticed the faint bleach smell of the water and reported it. 911 was called during the late morning hours.
28 children, ages three and four, were taken to the Jersey Center Medical Center along with two adults. Some children reported that they had stomach aches and experienced light-headedness.
The 28 children and two adults were given beverages like milk and water to dilute the bleach solution.
Mark Rabson, a hospital spokesman, did confirm that all 30 involved were stable and began to be released by mid-afternoon.
Kearney commented that the hospital visits were a precaution and that no injuries were sustained.