Litchfield Tractor-Trailer Accident Kills 2
Two women tragically died on Tuesday morning after their vehicle collided with a tractor-trailer near the intersection of Hallowell and Lewiston roads in Litchfield.
About the Litchfield Trucking Accident
According to the Lewiston-Auburn Sun Journal, a passenger vehicle traveling north on Hallowell was broadsided by a tractor-trailer traveling west on Lewiston Road.
The 92-year-old driver, Grace Marston, died that evening at a Lewiston hospital, while her passenger, Anita A. died immediately after the collision. The 14-year-old girl in the backseat only suffered from minor injuries, and was also taken to the same hospital Marston died in.
Robet Morang, the driver of the tractor trailer, was not hurt during the collision and was later investigated to see if drugs or alcohol were factors of the accident, but officials later announced this was not the case.
Trucking Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 3,964 people were killed in trucking accidents in 2013, a slight increase from the 3,944 deaths reported in 2012.
- Of those killed in 2013:
- 17 percent were occupants of large trucks
- 71 percent were occupants of other vehicles
- 11 percent were listed as nonoccupants, including pedestrians and bicyclists
- An additional 95,000 people were injured in trucking accidents in 2012.