17 Injured in Greyhound Bus Wreck on Kentucky Highway – Possible Phone Use Involved
Seventeen people were injured during a crash last Thursday involving a Greyhound bus on 1-75 in Rockcastle County.
About the Crash in Rockcastle County
According to the Mount Vernon Fire Department, the collision happened Thursday on 1-75 near the 71-mile marker and involved a Greyhound bus and a commercial vehicle. The Greyhound bus 1104 had been traveling from Atlanta to Cincinnati when it swerved out of its lane and collided with a flatbed truck at about 4:30 p.m.
The 17 people injured in the crash were transported to local hospitals by Rockcastle and Madison County EMS crews.
The family of a passenger reported a photo taken at 3:57 p.m. that appears to show the bus driver, Vincent Watts, using his cell phone. Kentucky State Police Commercial Vehicle Enforcement is investigating the crash and will procedurally check the driver’s phone records.
The company told the station that they are currently investigating the cause of the crash and that they do not tolerate drivers using cell phones behind the wheel.
Texting and Driving Facts and Figures 2019
Information provided by The Zebra:
- 14% of fatal crashes involved cell phones.
- 14% of distracted driving deaths were attributed specifically to cell phone use, as opposed to other forms of distracted driving.
- Using a cell phone while driving, whether it’s hand-held or hands-free device, delays a driver’s reaction time by as much as having a blood alcohol concentration at the legal limit of .08%.
- Texting while driving is six times more likely to cause a car accident than drunk driving.
- Use of a cell phone while driving caused an estimated 1.5 million car crashes in the U.S. in 2017.
Contact an Experienced Texas Car Accident Lawyer
you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.