18-Wheeler Hits DPS SUV in Forney, Trooper Injured
A DPS trooper was injured Thursday when an 18-wheeler struck the trooper’s SUV on Highway 80 in Forney, Texas.
Details of the Forney Trucking Accident
According to CBS DFW, the accident occurred as the trooper was pulling over an 18-wheeler near Lawson Road.
As the vehicles slowed, the trooper’s SUV was rear-ended by a second 18-wheeler. The impact of the initial collision caused the patrol SUV to strike the 18-wheeler in front of it.
The trooper was extricated from the SUV and transported via helicopter to Baylor Medical Center. Fortunately, the trooper is expected to be okay.
Preliminary reports suggest the driver of the second 18-wheeler did not see the slowing traffic. The incident remains under investigation.
Texas Trucking Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 3,903 people were killed in trucking accidents in the United States in 2014.
- Texas led the nation in commercial trucking-related fatalities with 553 deaths reported.
- Of those killed in trucking accidents in Texas in 2014:
- 114 were occupants of large trucks
- 398 were occupants of other vehicles
- 41 were listed as nonoccupants