2 Dead, 3 Hospitalized in Texas Hit-and-Run
A Buda, Texas man has been charged following a hit-and-run along Interstate 35 in Kyle that left two people dead and three others injured.
Buda Man Arrested After Fleeing Scene of Fatal Kyle Accident
According to U.S. News, the fatal crash occurred just before 9:30 am Saturday at an intersection on the Interstate 35 frontage road, roughly 18 miles south of Austin. Police say a pickup truck driven by Macario M. Hernandez, 61, slammed into a car carrying five passengers.
Two of the cars occupants, girls ages 16 and 18, were killed instantly. Authorities say both were wearing seatbelts at the time of the collision. Three other occupants of the car were transported to the hospital.
Hernandez fled the scene on foot, but was found and arrested soon after. He has been jailed on bonds totaling $250,000.
The accident remains under investigation.
Texas Car Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,721 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2017, marking a slight decrease from the 3,794 deaths reported in 2016.
- 552 of the deaths reported in 2017 were attributed to head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 254,853 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2017.
- Based on reportable data for 2017, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 21 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 4 seconds
- A reportable crash occurred every 59 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Corpus Christi Car Accident Lawyer
you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.