5 Dead in Fatal Crash on Highway 6
Two women and three children were killed in a two-vehicle collision on State Highway 6 near Clifton, Texas on Monday.
About the Fatal Bosque County Crash
According to KWTX, the fatal collision occurred around 7:30 am when a 1999 Nissan van attempted to make a U-turn and steered into the path of a 2014 Ford pickup that was traveling behind the van.
The driver of the Nissan, Janith Murphee, 48, a passenger, Lavira Hallmark, 66, and two girls traveling in the van died at the scene. A third girl traveling in the van died at Goodall Witcher Hospital in Clifton. The girls were ages 8, 9, and 13.
The driver of the pickup, Steven Penney, 39, was taken to Goodall Witcher with non-incapacitating injuries.
No charges have been filed.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Auto Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced car accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.