9 Quick Tips for a Safe and Fun Memorial Day
The Memorial Day weekend marks the unofficial start of summer, and families across the U.S. will be celebrating with cookouts, visiting relatives, road trips, and enjoying the outdoors. Thomas J. Henry would like to wish everyone a safe and happy Memorial Day and provide a few quick tips that can help keep your family safe this Memorial Day weekend.
Grilling Safety Tips
- Food Safety – Before hitting the grill, make sure you properly store any food. Improperly stored foods are breeding grounds of bacteria that can result in food related illnesses. When grilling, keep any uncooked meats away from other foods to prevent cross contamination. Finally, remember to thoroughly wash your hands before any handling food and after handling raw meat.
- Fire Safety – Check your grill to make sure it has been properly cleaned and is free of any dust. If you are using a gas grill, check for leaks and loose connections. Always grill in an open area – not in a garage, porch, or other covered or enclosed space. Also, do not leave the grill unintended, especially if there are children around.
- Keep Water Stocked – Memorial Day weekend is the first holiday of the summer. When grilling, make sure you are staying hydrated by drinking lots of water. Also make sure you have plenty of water for your guests.
- Water Safety – If visiting a beach, a lake, or a swimming pool, remember to never swim alone. Children should especially be supervised at all times when in or near the water. It only takes seconds for tragedy to happen, and child drownings can occur within feet of parents and guardians. It is also advised that you keep any non-water activities, such as picnicking or sports, away from the water’s edge as parents may not be completely on watch for children entering the water.
- Boating Safety – Like driving, do not operate a boat while intoxicated. Additionally, do not forgo wearing a life jacket. According to the U.S. Coast Guard, 84 percent of individuals who drown after a boating accident are not wearing life jackets.
- Sun Safety – Apply sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher throughout the day to avoid sunburn. Wearing sunglasses and hats can also help prevent eye and corneal damage. Finally, remember to keep hydrated while outdoors.
Travel Safety Tips
- Use Seatbelts – You should always wear a seatbelt anytime a vehicle is in operation. If you are a parent, take the time to ensure your children are wearing their seatbelts correctly and understand how essential seatbelts are to their safety. For example, while it may be tempting for a child to adjust a seatbelt for comfort on long trips, doing so also reduces the seatbelt’s function, resulting in an increased risk of injury or death in the event of a crash.
- Do Not Drink and Drive – Do not drink and drive or ride in a vehicle with a driver that has been driving. Enjoying alcoholic drinks in celebration of the long weekend is common, and many time we can underestimate how much of an affect even a few drinks can have on our driving abilities. Do not risk it. Designate a driver or make use of rideshare services like Uber and Lyft. With all the options available, there is no excuse for getting behind the wheel intoxicated.
- Prepare for Long Trips – If you are playing on taking a road trip or visiting out-of-town relatives, take time to prepare. This includes checking that your vehicle is serviced and ready for the road, planning your route ahead of time, and making sure you allow time for breaks and traffic delays. The more prepared you are, the less the risk of aggravated or distracted driving.
Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney
At Thomas J. Henry, we focus on personal injury matters and achieving the maximum recovery for you and your family. Our firm has the resources to take care of you and your family during the legal process. Our lawyers are dedicated to each and every client and their unique case. Let us help you get the compensation you deserve for the injuries you have sustained. Contact our personal injury attorneys — available 24/7, nights and weekends — for a free legal consultation.