Augusta Man Killed In Workplace Accident
Details of the Fatal Accident
Columbia County Coroner Vernon Collins reported that 25-year-old Joshua Shane Price of Augusta, was killed when a trench collapsed on Winterton Street.
According to WJBF, one side of the trench filled up with dirt when it collapsed. This caused Price to suffocate.
An autopsy will be performed at the GBI Crime Lab in Atlanta.
On the Job Accident Statistics
The following information is provided by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA):
- 4,821 workers died on the job in 2014.
- 899 of these fatalities were in the construction industry.
- The “Fatal Four” leading causes of private sector worker deaths are:
- Falls – 359 out of 899 total deaths in construction in 2014 (39.9%)
- Electrocutions – 74 (8.2%)
- Struck by Object – 73 (8.1%)
- Caught-in/between – 39 (4.3%)
- Eliminating the “Fatal Four” would save approximately 545 workers’ lives every year.