1 Dead, 3 Injured in Burleson County Crash
About the Burleson County Accident
One death and three injuries were reported after a two-vehicle accident occurred about 2 miles west of Caldwell, TX on State Highway 21 in Burleson County.
Two vehicles were traveling west on State Highway 21 when the driver of a 2002 Ford Windstar Van, Jesus Pellez, pulled onto the shoulder of the road in attempt of a U-turn. Unfortunately, Pellez drove into the way of the vehicle behind him, a Ford Excursion carrying three passengers. The Ford Excursion impacted the driver’s side of the van. Pellez, 67, was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident.
The remaining passengers of the Ford Excursion survived with minor injuries which were treated in Caldwell at St. Joseph’s Hospital.
Automobile Accident Statistics
Based on statistics available from the Texas Department of Transportation:
- In 2013, 460 individuals were killed in automobile accidents that involved distracted driving in Texas.
- A total 232,041 people were injured in car crashes last year that occurred in Texas.
- According to reportable car crash statistics in 2013:
- 1 person was killed every 2 hours and 36 minutes.
- 1 person was injured every 2 minutes and 16 seconds
- A reported motor vehicle accident occurred every 71 seconds.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
- Drivers 65 and older make up 17% of all traffic fatalities in the United States.