1 Dead in 50-Vehicle Crash Involving Dancing with the Stars Bus
One woman was killed and at least six other people were critically injured Monday as a result of a 50-vehicle crash near Poweshiek County, Iowa. Among the vehicles involved in the pile-up was the Dancing with the Stars: Live! tour bus.
Details of the Fatal Iowa Pile-Up
According to ABC News, the deceased was idnentified as Josephina Maw Buffington,21, of Faifax, Iowa. Multiple other people were transported to the hospital with at least six people being listed in critical condition.
Early reports indicate the crash occurred when a semi-truck struck one of three vehicles on the shoulder of Interstate 80 as a winter storm snarled traffic.
The accident remains under investigation and Dancing with the Stars confirmed that all of its cast and crewed escape the wreck without major injury.
National Traffic Crash Statistics
The following information was provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 35,092 people were killed in crashes in the U.S. in 2015, marking a 7.2-percent increase from the 32,744 deaths recorded in 2014.
- The 7.2-percent spike marked the largest percentage increase recorded in nearly 50 years.
- Of those killed in collisions in 2015:
- 22,411 were occupants of passenger vehicles.
- 5,376 were pedestrians
- 4,976 were motorcyclists
- 818 were pedalcyclists
- 667 were occupants of large trucks
- 227 were listed as other or as unknown
- An additional 2,443,000 people were injured in traffic accidents in Texas in 2015.
Contact an Experienced Auto Accident Attorney
Our attorneys are available to respond to auto accidents at any hour, day or night. Our lawyers understand that the immediate acquisition, or acquiring, of evidence is paramount to understanding how the accident occurred. Remember, your choice does matter. Contact our offices- we are available 24/7, nights and weekends.