At Least 2 Killed in Duval County Crash
About the Duval County Collision
Though details are limited, the Corpus Christi Caller-Times reports that a two-vehicle collision along U.S. Highway 59 between Freer and Laredo has resulted in at least two deaths.
Officials with HALO told reporters that the accident occurred shortly before 4:30 am Thursday and two other individuals were airlifted to hospitals in Corpus Christi, including a child who was taken to Driscoll Children’s Hospital.
The names and ages of the victims and descriptions of the vehicles involved have not been released.
Texas Car Crash Statistics
Following information provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,377 traffic related fatalities were recorded in Texas in 2013, marking a 1.05 percent decrease from the 3,413 deaths recorded in 2012.
- 55.76 percent of the fatalities (1,883 deaths) were attributed to crashes in rural areas.
- Another 232,041 people were injured in auto accidents with 89,270 people sustaining serious injuries.
- Based on available crash data, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed every 2 hours and 36 minutes
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 16 seconds
- A reportable crash occurred every 71 seconds