Authorities Identify Motorcyclist Killed in San Antonio Accident
San Antonio authorities have identified the man killed in a fatal motorcycle accident in San Antonio as Sharrod Lynn Dumas, 33.
About the Fatal San Antonio Motorcycle Accident
Authorities believe that Dumas was traveling at a high rate of speed when he broadsided the truck at the intersection of Elm Trail Drive and Walzem Road.
He was rushed to San Antonio Military Medical Center where he was pronounced dead shortly after 3:30 a.m. Monday.
Investigators have not yet determined the cause of the fatal accident, nor who was at fault.
Texas Motor Vehicle Accident Statistics
- According to the Texas Department of Transportation, Texas experienced a 10.82 percent increase in traffic related fatalities in 2012, rising from 3,067 deaths in 2011 to 3,399.
- In addition, another 87,087 people were injured as a result of the 230,506 reported crashes.
- The Texas DOT determined that 467 of those killed in traffic collisions were motorcyclists and that 52 percent of motorcyclists killed were not wearing helmets at the time of the collision.
- Based on the reported crashes, the Texas DOT was able to estimate:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 35 minutes.
- One person was injured in a traffic accident every 2 minutes and 17 seconds.
- One reportable accident occurred in Texas every 75 second.