Authorities Identify Passenger Killed in DWI Crash
Authorities have identified one of the two people killed in a drunk driving accident in San Antonio over the weekend.
One Victim Identified
Garza was a passenger in a Chevrolet Malibu that was struck by a drunk driver operating a Ford F150 around 2 am on Interstate 10. The Malibu was stopped in the road way after colliding with a concrete wall – reports indicate that other drivers near the Malibu were slowing down when the it was struck by the pickup.
The driver of the Malibu was also killed in the collision, but his identity is still being held pending notification of next of kin.
The driver of the pickup, 29-year-old Manuel Martinez-Chavarria, has been charged with intoxication manslaughter.
Texas Car Crash Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,377 people were killed in traffic collisions along Texas roadways in 2013 – a 1.05 percent decrease from the 3,413 deaths recorded in 2012.
- 1,494 traffic deaths occurred in urban areas, and 1,089 deaths were linked to crashes in which at least one driver was under the influence of alcohol.
- An additional 232,041 people were injured in Texas traffic accidents, with 89,270 people sustaining serious injuries.
- Based on available data, TxDOT estimates that:
- One person was killed in a car crash in Texas every 2 hours and 36 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 16 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 71 seconds.