A stretch of southbound Interstate 37 was shut down near Live Oak County Wednesday morning as authorities and emergency crews responded to a 25-vehicle pile-up.
Two Vehicles Caught Fire, At Least Three People Hospitalized
According to KIII-TV, two vehicles caught on fire as a result of the wreck and at least three people were transported to the hospital with injuries.
Atascosa County Sheriff David Soward said the pile-up occurred around 6:15 am Wednesday morning just north of the Live Oak County line. First responders were dispatched from Live Oak County and Atascosa County.
The conditions of the people injured in the wreck were not immediately available.
DPS troopers are still investigating the cause of the accident, but did say there was dense fog in the area at the time of the pile-up.
2017 Texas Car Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,721 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2017, marking a slight decrease from the 3,794 deaths reported in 2016.
- 552 of the deaths reported in 2017 were attributed to head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 254,853 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2017.
- Based on reportable data for 2017, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 21 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 4 seconds
- A reportable crash occurred every 59 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Car Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.