On Wednesday afternoon, a deadly car accident killed four people and left one injured in Pecos County, Texas, according to News West 9.
About the Car Accident
The accident took place about 37 miles south of Fort Stockton, on Highway 285, around 12 p.m. According to DPS Troopers the accident was caused by a 2013 Chrysler 200, driving southbound, who passed in the northbound lane. The Chrysler collided with a 2012 Kenworth vehicle.
Four people inside the Chrysler car died. Two of the victims were not wearing seat belts when the crash took place. The driver of the Kenworth vehicle was injured. He was taken to the Medical Center Hospital in Odessa.
The deceased victims have been identified as Gilberto Gonzales, 21; Martin Guardiola, Jr., 18; Selene Verneise Leal. 19; and Gilberto Gonzalez, Jr., 10-months. All four victims were from Roma, Texas.
Texas Car Accident Statistics
The Texas Department of Transportation (TDOT) provides the following statistics about motor vehicle accidents in Texas in 2013:
- Every 71 seconds a reportable crash occurred.
- Every 2 minutes and 16 seconds a person was injured in a car crash.
- There were 3,377 motor vehicle traffic fatalities.
- 89,270 people sustained serious injuries in 65,539 serious injury motor vehicle crashes.
- 767 of motor vehicle traffic fatalities occurred in intersections or related to an intersection.