Two children, a 5-year-old and a 9-month-old, were killed in a crash in Granbury, Texas, southwest of Fort Worth on Monday. DPS says charges are now pending.
Details of the Fatal Granbury Crash
According to the Star-Telegram, the accident happened ion U.S. 281 North near County Road 466.
DPS reported that a GMC Acadia SUV, driven by 33-year-old Carrie Sackett, was stopped in the northbound lane of U.S. 281 to make a left turn onto County Road 446 when it was struck by a Dodge truck driven by 33-yar-old Alyssa Litwin and forced into the southbound lanes. The Acadia was then struck by a Chevrolet truck driven by Braylen Fain, 17, as it headed south on U.S. 281.
Sackett was transported to Harris Hospital in Fort Worth in critical but stable condition. Two children in her vehicle, 5-year-old and 9-month-old girls, were killed in the crash. Fain was also taken to the hospital for treatment while Litwin was treated for minor injuries.
The crash remains under investigation, but Staff Sgt. Dub Gillum did say that charges are pending.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Auto Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced Corpus Christi car accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.