Collision in Denver Leaves Driver Dead
About the Fatal Denver Bus Accident
According to ABC -7 News, Denver resident Joseph Tracy was traveling westbound on W. Mississippi Avenue when he was struck at an intersection by a RTD bus that was traveling southbound on S. Platte River Drive.
The bus came to a stop roughly 200 yards away from the accident and activated its hazard lights. Tracy was pronounced dead at the scene.
Police are still investigating the accident, and have yet to determine who was at fault for the accident. Reports indicate that the bus driver was uninjured in the collision.
Commercial Vehicle Statistics
- According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, 2011 continued an upward trend in the number of bus and large truck accidents recorded over recent years with 3,757 deaths reported for the year.
- This is up from 3,686 deaths recorded in 2010 and 3,380 deaths recorded in 2009.
- Additionally, accidents involving large trucks and buses caused another 112,000 injuries and resulted in $87 billion of damage in 2011.
- Causes of bus accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Driver fatigue
- Failure to see or yield to other vehicles, bicyclists or pedestrians
- Poor maintenance
- Unsafe driving
- Failure to adhere to traffic laws