The Texas Department of Public Safety has identified the victim of a head-on collision that occurred in Coryell County Friday evening as Lorenzo Wilson, Jr.
About the Fatal Head-On Collision
KWTX reports that 26-year-old Lorenzo Wilson, Jr. was killed in a two-vehicle collision in Coryell County near Waco.
Preliminary reports indicate Wilson was driving southbound on FM 116 when he lost control of his 2007 Buick sedan at around 5:30 pm. His vehicle crossed into the northbound lanes and collided with a 2017 GMC pickup.
Wilson died at the scene of the accident.
The driver of the pickup, William Thompson, 49, was transported to a hospital in Temple. His condition was not available.
Police said the crash occurred during a rainstorm and wet road conditions likely played a role in the crash.
2017 Texas Automobile Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,721 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2017, marking a slight decrease from the 3,794 deaths reported in 2016.
- 552 of the deaths reported in 2017 were attributed to head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 254,853 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2017.
- Based on reportable data for 2017, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 21 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 4 seconds
- A reportable crash occurred every 59 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Automobile Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.