Driver Flees Scene of Fatal Houston Accident
A hit-and-run motorist is reportedly on the loose in Houston after causing a fatal accident on the city’s southwest side.
Details of the Fatal Houston Collision
According to KPRC Houston, police received a call around 3:00 a.m. Tuesday stating that a man’s body was lying on the Southwest Freeway frontage road at Bellaire and Fondren.
Authorities are investigating the incident as a crime and are seeking surveillance video from any nearby business. They are also urging anyone with information concerning the incident or the driver to call the Houston Police Department’s Hit-and-Run unit at 713-247-4065.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
- The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) recorded 3,377 traffic-related fatalities in 2013.
- 485 of those fatalities were pedestrians and 48 were pedalcyclists.
- 767 deaths were attributed to incidents that occurred at or in relation to an intersection.
- Another 232,041 people were injured in auto accidents in 2013, with 89,270 people suffering serious injuries.
- Using the above data, TxDOT estimates that one person was killed in an auto accident every 2 hours and 36 minutes and one person was injured every 2 minutes and 16 seconds.