Drunk Driver Kills Pedestrian in New Jersey
About the Fatal Hit and Run
Wisconsin resident Scott W. Jahnel, 46, was reportedly driving his red 2014 Chevrolet Silverado while under the influence of alcohol on the night of the accident.
Glassboro police say Jahnel struck the pedestrian and then fled the scene. However, he later called police and reported the incident.
News reports indicate Jahnel was arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated, fleeing the scene of a fatal crash, and endangering an injured person. In addition, police say they may bring more charges against Jahnel.
Police say it is not clear whether the female pedestrian was in the car with Jahnel before the accident occurred. Investigators are still seeking additional information about the crash.
National Drunk Driving Statistics
The following information has been provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
- 30% of all fatal crashes involved alcohol.
- Between the hours of midnight and 3 am, about 65% of fatal crashes involved alcohol.
- 9,158 people died as a result of drunk drivers in 2013.
- Most alcohol-related fatalities involved only one vehicle.
- About two percent of drunk drivers involved in a fatal accident had at least one prior DWI conviction.