Authorities are investigating a fatal car accident in southeast Travis County.
About the Fatal Accident
According to KEYE TV, a car accident transpired around 2:30 a.m. on Monday morning. The accident happened at the 7900 block of Gabriel Collins Road near Hwy 183 and FM 812 by the Austin Bergstrom International Airport.
The vehicle allegedly went off road at a curve and flipped multiple times. The car eventually landed in the driveway of a nearby home after the driver was ejected from the vehicle. The driver was pronounced dead the scene of the accident.
The Texas Department of Public Safety and the Travis County Sheriff’s Office are investigating the cause of the accident.
Texas Vehicle Accident Information
The Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT) provided the following information:
- Based on crash data for the previous year, an average of 1 person was killed every 2 hours and 36 minutes.
- Single vehicle, run-off the road crashes resulted in 1,333 deaths, which was 39.47% of all motor vehicle traffic deaths in 2013.
- Of all persons killed in vehicles where restraint usage was applicable, 44.7% were reported as not restrained when the fatal crash occurred
- 1 reportable crash occurred every 76 seconds in 2012.
- 232,041 people were injured in vehicle crashes in 2013.