26-year-old Kyle Tilley of Flower Mound, Texas was killed in The Colony on Saturday when his vehicle was struck by a speeding motorist.
About the Colony Collision
NBC-DFW reports Tilley was driving in the southbound lanes of the Sam Rayburn Tollway when his Jeep was struck from behind by another motorist.
Investigators state the other car was traveling in the center lane at a high rate of speed before crossing into Tilley’s lane and hitting Tilley’s Jeep. The collision caused the Jeep to roll – it came to rest in the grass median.
Tilley was pronounced dead at the scene while his passenger, Nicholas Bass, 25, was airlifted to the Medical Center of Plano. The driver of the other vehicle, Wahid Malik, 19, and his passenger were not seriously injured.
Tilley, known around Flower Mound as Coach Kyle, is remembered by friends and co-workers as an “excitable, young, inspirational coach.” Tilley had spent most of his life in the swimming community, swimming competitively and playing water polo. He began coaching at the Lakeside Aquatic Club after graduating from college.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
- The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) recorded 3,377 traffic related deaths in Texas in 2013 – a 1.05-percent decrease from the 3,413 deaths recorded in 2012.
- 1,883 of the reported deaths occurred in rural areas of the state, and 523 deaths were attributed to head-on collisions.
- Another 232,041 people were injured in traffic collisions in Texas that same year, with 89,270 people suffering a serious injury.
- Based on reportable crash data for 2013:
- One person lost their life in a traffic collision in Texas every 2 hours and 36 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 16 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 71 seconds.