Man Charged in Fatal Franklin County Crash
Jordan Reed, 20, of Wichita, KS has been arrested and held in the Franklin County Adult Detention Center in connection to a fatal drunk driving accident which took the life of his teammate, Sam Brazeal, 19, of Perrin, TX.
About the Drunk Driving Accident
Emergency personnel responded to a call of a single car wreck along the Flint Hills Nature Trail just East of Ottawa at 5:15am Wednesday, the Ottawa Herald reports.
According to the arrest report, Reed was driving along the pedestrian/bicycle trail illegally when the truck drove off a pedestrian bridge and fell into a dry creek bed 20 feet below. Reed was not injured, but his passenger was killed in the wreck.
Reed has been booked on charges of involuntary manslaughter, fleeing the scene of a fatality accident, and driving under the influence.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
- The Texas Department of Transportation reported over 1,000 fatalities in DUI-Alcohol accidents in 2014, while 677 of those deaths were the driver under the influence.
- DUI accident fatalities accounted for a third of all traffic-related fatalities in 2014
- 50 of the drivers killed while driving under the influence were under the age of 21, the youngest being 13.
- Single vehicle, run-off the road crashes resulted in 1,384 deaths in 2014. This was 39.16% of all motor vehicle traffic deaths in 2014.
- October was the deadliest month with 351 persons killed in traffic accidents.
- During 2014, more DUI-Alcohol crashes were reported in the hour between 2:00 am and 2:59 am than any other hour of the day. Also, more of these crashes occurred on Saturday than any other day of the week