Man Killed in Corpus Christi Pedestrian Accident
About the Fatal Pedestrian Accident
According to KIII-TV, Abel Jacobo was walking in the 3700 block of Ayers when he stepped off a curb and into oncoming traffic where he was hit by a truck. Jacobo was taken to Christus Spohn Shoreline where he was pronounced dead.
The driver of the truck initially left the scene, but later returned. She was ticketed for driving without a license.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Five Pedestrian Safety Tips for Drivers
There are ways to decrease the risk of a pedestrian-car collision. Follow these guidelines to help keep pedestrians safe while driving:
- Keep an eye out for pedestrians at all times and remain vigilant in high-trafficked areas.
- Follow the speed limit, especially in school zones and inside neighborhoods, where pedestrians frequent.
- Drive slower in poor road conditions and on streets with poor lighting.
- Look for pedestrians when backing out of a driveway and parking spots in a parking lot.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and never pass vehicles stopped at a crosswalk.
Contact an Experienced Corpus Christi Car Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced Corpus Christi car accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.