New York Teen Killed in Single Vehicle Crash
Details of the Fatal Car Crash
Police say a 2013 Honda Civic driven by 19-year-old Caitlin Callahan crashed into a railroad overpass at approximately 4:56 a.m. on Glenridge Road in Glenville, NY Tuesday morning. Alplaus and East Glenville Fire Departments responded to the scene of the accident and had to use the Jaws of Life to free Callahan from the vehicle. She was transported to Albany Medical Center where she was later pronounced dead.
Authorities are investigating what caused Callahan’s vehicle to leave the roadway and strike the overpass. No contributing factors have been identified at this time.
New York Auto Accident Statistics
The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (NY DMV) provides the following statistics.
- In 2012, there were 294,757 crashes in the state of New York.
- 1,163 persons were killed and 169,206 were injured in car crashes in New York that year.
- 33.1% of all crashes in 2012 were classified as single-vehicle accidents.
- 639 people were killed in 2012 in single-vehicle crashes.
- Driver distraction was a factor in 19.4% of all motor vehicle crashes in 2012.