One Dead in Alice Collision
Details of the Alice Car Crash
According to KRIS-TV, 83-year-old Ernesto Vega Alfrido was traveling southbound in the northbound lanes of Highway 281 when he collided with a black Lincoln Continental outside of Alice.
Police received reports of the wrong-way driver around 10 a.m., but were unable to reach him before the collision. Alfrido was killed in the crash.
The driver of the Lincoln, 29-year-old Eric Armendariz, was flown to a Corpus Christi hospital with critical injuries. He is currently listed in stable condition.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
- According to the Texas Department of Transportation, 3,399 people were killed in traffic collisions in 2012. This marks a 10.82 percent increase from the 3,067 deaths recorded in 2011.
- An additional 230,506 people were injured, up from 212,637 in 2011, with 87,087 people sustaining a serious injury.
- Using available data, the Texas Department of Transportation was able to determine that:
- One person was killed in an auto accident in Texas every 2 hours and 35 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 17 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 75 seconds.